Another month spent at home and another month of the economy getting flushed down the drain. Factories and businesses are being allowed to operate, but at a much less than optimal capacity. Banks are seeing sharp increases in NPA, and they expect this to go up even higher. Earnings for the rest of the year is going to be muted as well. It took a bit over a year for the markets to bounce back during the 2008 financial crisis.
But one comforting knowledge is, the last time during the financial crisis, people did not have the money to spend hence revival of the economy was difficult and took longer. This time, people do have money (most do), but are not allowed to go out to spend. So it is not entirely on how quickly a cure can be found, mass produced and deployed across the globe!
April’20 In a nutshell:
- I have a total of Rs.15 Lakhs as savings. My target for this month was Rs.12.14 lakhs, so I am doing pretty well meeting this target
- Mutual Funds and stocks are not doing well, but has recovered a lot from last month
- I have added a total of Rs.1,15,000 from my bonus and some windfalls to my total investments.
- The Franklin liquidity funds I was holding on to has been sold. Money from it has been added to buying Goldbees
- I have increased my gold holdings, now about 6.6% of my portfolio is in Gold
My Overall Investments and Progress as of April’20
|Final Goal||Rs.5 Crores|
|Total Invested||Rs. 13,97,945|
|Current Value||Rs. 14,96,423|
|Passive Income in Apr’20||Rs.16,858|
|Time left||138 of 144|
Have you seen what is new on Little Saves in April’20
I have been very active in April’20. Here is what I have achieved
Podcast on Personal Finance
I have also started a podcast (coz speaking is much better), I am hoping to update and put up new episodes every two weeks. I shall continue with this for 2-3 months, based on how well it is received then take a call if I should continue the podcast or not.
- Welcome – Introduction to the Little Saves Podcast on Personal Finance
- All about FIRE and bits of Gold, Bitcoins and Nelson Mandela
I realized that I am not really talking about myself that much. So I have made a commitment to share a bi-weekly personal updates on what is going on in my life, my family, personal learning and best practices. Here is the first one I wrote on Day 180 of my FIRE Journey.
- Day 180 on FIRE: Of Happiness and Kicking off my personal updates
- All about FIRE and bits of Gold, Bitcoins and Nelson Mandela
Articles on FIRE and Personal Finance
A couple of articles around saving money, offers and reducing Debt.
- The Sun Exchange Review: Passive Income from Solar Energy for 20 yrs
- 7 easy ways to save money you can start immediately
- Pay rent with your Credit card using the CRED app Rentpay feature
- 5 strategies to reduce debt and put together a Debt Reduction Plan
- Is Early retirement and FIRE only for Rich? What if my salary is low?
- What is the FIRE movement? How does it work? How to get started?
Value of Investments and breakdown as of Apr’2020
|Stock Market Investments||410,000||145364.95||132,894||132,894||225,920||368,031||-10.24%|
|Mutual Funds Investments||178,234||93,430||115,004||111,693||85,407||170,615||-4.27%|
|P2P Lending Investments||98,431||2,777||26,383||26,618||44,743||93,056||-5.46%|
|Cashbacks, Rewards and Points||0||41133.99||35,687||35,987||38,843||27,671||–|
Passive Income earned in April’2020
|Passive Income Earned||Total Invested||2019 Total||January’20||Feb’20||Mar’20||Apr’20||2020 – Total Passive Income|
|P2P Lending Investments||27231||47||47||235||365||669.77||1316.77|
|Cashbacks& Rewards Redeemed||0||98155.78||9453.35||11437||1818.11||13688||36396.46|
Stock Market Investments Update for March 2020
I took two noteworthy actions in April’20
- Tax loss harvesting: I sold some stocks I was holding and much later in the month picked up similar/same stocks at a somewhat lower price
- I have expanded my portfolio a bit to take on LIC, MAGMA, UJJIVAN, IOC, BEL and TATAMOTORS
- I have picked up near a lakh in Goldbees
|Symbol||Buy Price||Current Value||Unrealized P&L||P/L|
|CASH IN HAND||20850||20850||0||0.0%|
Mutual Fund Investment Updates for Apr 2020
You are probably aware of the 6 funds from Franklin that are being closed. I managed to sell them a week before the closure putting that money into gold.
My funds are bouncing back to their purchase price quite well. I am hoping to invest a bit more into mutual funds at these levels.
Total Total Invested Value Dec’19 January’20 Feb’20 Mar’20 Apr’20 SBI Focused Equity Fund 43340 31000 33568 33062 25569 40086 Axis Midcap Fund 56664 33969 42427 41777 33439 55209 Nippon India Small Cap 9900 8095 10754 10147 7093 8154 L&T Midcap Fund 20000 6167 8600 8258 6070 19937 HDFC Small Cap Fund 30000 5869 8224 7651 5316 29503 L&T India Value Fund 8330 5186 7009 6545 4701 7474 DSP Midcap Fund 10000 3144 4422 4253 3219 10252 Total 178234 93430 115004 111693 85407 170615
Alternate Investments Update Apr’20
I have still not been able to buy any bitcoins! 🙁 Everytime I go to buy, I get cold feet and skip. I wanted to buy it when BTC was at $7000 levels, now it is currently at $8800. Bloody thing is quite getting on my nerves!
All other alternate investments remain the same. Sun exchange investment is showing a little return. They have been impacted due to the lockdown as new plants are not being set up. But, I received an update last week that things are getting back to normalcy. I am hoping to increase my portfolio of solar cells to Rs.1 Lakh gradually.
Total Total Invested December’19 January’20 Feb’20 Mar’20 Apr’20 Loan to Family Friend @ 15% pa 200000 200000 200000 200000 200000 200000 Sun Exchange 31400 3400 3400 32100 32750 32750 Loan to Friend 100000 100000 100000 100000 100000 100000 PF 175580 420000 420000 431000 431000 300000 Investment/Insurance Funds 300000 300000 300000 300000 300000 300000 Loan Taken @ 7% pa -100000 -100000 -100000 -100000 -100000 -100000 Bitcoins 0 0 0 0 0 0 Liquid Fund (for Emergency) @7% pa 0 12441 16875 17006 17138 0 Cash (for Emergency) @4% pa 4300 0 0 0 3500 4300 Total 711280 935841 940275 980106 984388 837050
P2P Lending Updates for Apr-2020
My investments in P2P has taken up a notch with an additional Rs.50,000. There are some troubles on this front due to several of the countries where I have lent money such as Kazakhstan and Poland etc. Since the Governments have implemented a morartium on paying back loans, 60% of my loans are impacted and I have not got the interest payments on them.
P2P lending Total Invested December’19 January’20 Feb’20 Mar’20 Apr’20 Overall 98,431 2,777 26,383 26,618 44,743 93,056
Rewards and Cashbacks balance in the month of April’20
Cashbacks, Rewards and Points – Redeemed
- I reached 24K in my American Express Gold collection. So I cashed in and got Rs.9000 this month.
- Due to the COVID situation not much rewards or earnings in April
|Cashbacks & Points Redeemed||Total Invested||December’19||January’20||Feb’20||Mar’20||Apr’20|
|American Express Points||0||10000||0||0||0||9000|
|All other Credit Cards||0||0||407||830||619||191|
|Flipkart Supercoins & Vouchers||0||1000||0||1300||279||400|
|Other points programs||0||500||0||0||0||0|
|Amazon Pay Card+Cashbacks||0||26,938||970||812||727||571|
Cashbacks, Loyalty Points and rewards – Balance
- I paid off a couple of Insurance premiums for my family members using my credit cards, so some increase in points from CRED and the cards 🙂
- Nothing much here, all quite till Corona dies down.
|Cashbacks & Points Balance||Total Invested||December’19||January’20||Feb’20||Mar’20||Apr’20|
|American Express Points||0||6491.52||7161.84||8357.16||8140||159.1|
|Flipkart Supercoins & Vouchers||0||2764||2860||1808||1920||1122|
|Hotels & Stay points||0||2593||2593||2593||2593||2593|
|Other points programs||0||700||200||200||200||200|