As of March’20 I have reached a total of Rs.13,82,000, about 2.77% of my Rs.5 crore target to get financial independence and retire early. Littlesaves.com too has been picking up momentum among readers and social media followers. As of now, the community is over 8,000 strong followers across Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Youtube. Lots of youngsters who are joining the workforce and even some moms who are home makers have reached out to me on Twitter and Facebook. Common questions are how P2P Lending works, is it feasible, how to earn passive income etc. I will focus on these topics for this month and write my experiences, thoughts and tips on them.
March’20 In a nutshell:
- Stock market is down and these days, as much as 100+ companies are making new lows
- I have added Rs.1,50,000 to my stock investment portfolio. I have not made any purchases yet. I am waiting for things to stabilize a bit. Most importantly, see how the Corona situation pans out in India. Modi and team are doing a great job so far!
- A UN Trade report says World economy will enter recession this year. India and China are the exceptions!
- We are nearing 10,00,000 Corona cases and 50,000 Corona related deaths
- I have been working from home completely for the past month. Stepped out of the house just twice for getting Pampers and milk. We have stocked groceries till the 15th of April’20.
- RBI and banks announce a morartium on loans and debt for upto 3 months. I did not take it, and advice you not to either (unless you are in a financially in a bad position) as it will only increase the interest you end up paying.
My Overall Investments and Progress as of March’20
|Final Goal||Rs.5 Crores|
|Total Invested||Rs. 12,79,454|
|Current Value||Rs. 13,82,545|
|Passive Income in Mar’20||Rs.5,258|
|Time left||139 of 144|
New articles and Tools& Calculators added in March’20
My office work has been a bit hectic in March’20. We had to plan BCP (Business Continuity Plan) situations incase Corona pandemic continues for a long time. I have not been able to write much on the side as I had to work through Saturday and Sundays too. But I did manage to put together a few useful Tools and Calculators. Here is the list:
- Savings calculator to find out how much money you will have if you continue saving a certain sum every month
- Compound Interest Calculator to calculate the compound interest you earn on your investments
- Bitcoin to Indian Rupees calculator – Convert Bitcoins to Indian Rupees (INR)
- Crypto Currency converter – a tool to convert one crypto currency to another. Eg Bitcoin to Litecoin
- Personal Loan, Home Loan and Car/Bike Loan EMI Calculators
- Savings at the time of Retirement calculator – Find out how much money you will have when you retire
- FIRE Corpus, how money required to retire calculator
- Retirement age calculator – Find out when you will be able to retire
- Driver and Maid/Helper pay slip template
- Crypto currency prices in Indian Rupees for over 200 crypto currencies
- Cost of Ethreum, Litecoin and Bitcoin and trend chart
Value of Investments and breakdown as of Mar’2020
|Stock Market Investments||300,000||145364.95||132,894||132,894||225,920||-55.70%|
|Mutual Funds Investments||125,513||105,871||131,879||128,699||102,545||5.07%|
|P2P Lending Investments||48,431||2,777||26,383||26,618||44,743||-45.52%|
|Cashbacks, Rewards and Points||0||41133.99||45,080||47,354||40,587||–|
Passive Income earned in March’2020
|Total||Total Invested||2019 Total||January’20||Feb’20||Mar’20||2020 – Total Passive Income|
|P2P Lending Investments||27231||47||47||235||365||647|
|Cashbacks& Rewards Redeemed||0||98156||9393||11367||1743.11||22503|
Stock Market Investments Update for March 2020
With the stock market falling steadily, my current investments are over 35% down. I am adding Rs.1,50,000 into my total stock portfolio. I’m just keeping it as cash at the moment. Once the Corona situation is under control and the market is stable, I will be picking up some blue chip stocks for relatively low prices.
One thing to remember is that, the prices are not going to go up in the near future. Any investment now will take 2 years at the minimum to show good returns. The havoc wreaked by COVID-19 virus will have a lot of companies reporting major losses the coming 2-3 quarters. Plus that also means, not much in terms of dividends from these investments.
|Symbol||Buy Price||Current Price||Current Value||Unrealized P&L||P/L|
|CASH IN HAND||111251.0||111251|
Mutual Fund Investment Updates for Mar 2020
|Total||Total Invested||Value Dec’19||January’20||Feb’20||Mar’20|
|Franklin India Ultra Short Bond Fund||15776||10896||15323||15448||15571|
|SBI Focused Equity Fund||31672||31000||33568||33062||25569|
|Axis Midcap Fund||39998||33969||42427||41777||33439|
|Nippon India Small Cap||9900||8095||10754||10147||7093|
|L&T Midcap Fund||8000||6167||8600||8258||6070|
|HDFC Small Cap Fund||8000||5869||8224||7651||5316|
|L&T India Value Fund||6664||5186||7009||6545||4701|
|DSP Midcap Fund||4000||3144||4422||4253||3219|
|Nippon India Liquid Fund||1503||1545||1552||1558||1567|
From them previous highs of 17% ROI, my Mutual Fund portfolio is currently showing a return of -23.7%.
The coming month, I will add another Rs.25,000 and buy up more to average down my costs.
Alternate Investments Update Mar’20
This month I am planning to buy some Bitcoins. Bit coin prices have come down quite a bit and is currently around Rs.4,50,000 for 1 bit coin. I plan to buy worth Rs.5000, so set this sum aside and will buy it once the price falls below USD 6,000 per BTC.
All other alternate investments remain the same. Sun exchange investment is showing a little return. Only one out of my 3 projects on Sun exchange are live. So it will take another 3 to 4 months before I start seeing the 12% promised returns.
|Loan to Family Friend @ 15% pa||200000||200000||200000||200000||200000|
|Loan to Friend||100000||100000||100000||100000||100000|
|Loan Taken @ 7% pa||-100000||-100000||-100000||-100000||-100000|
P2P Lending Updates for Mar-2020
I have increased my investments in Mintos in March, adding another Rs.21,000. This time instead of investing in loans from Kazakhstan, I have picked up a few loans from EU countries such as Poland and Belarus. The main reason is that due to the Corona outbreak in EU regions, capital is low and loans are available for as much as 20-21% interest for Euros.
Keep in mind that the Risk in these are very high as things could go very bad quickly if the Covid-19 cases are not bought under control. Hence me adding only a small amount.
Rewards and Cashbacks in the month of March’20
|American Express Points||0||6491.52||7161.84||8357.16||8140|
|Flipkart Supercoins & Vouchers||0||2764||2860||1808||1920|
|Hotels & Stay points||0||2593||2593||2593||2593|
|Other points programs||0||700||200||200||200|
I continue to generate a tonne of money as cashbacks and rewards. I am hoping to go on a good long holiday by the end of this year. The points I have been hoarding will be useful at that time.
Usual cashbacks for the month. I make about Rs.1,000 in a month purely as cashbacks from my monthly expenses.
No Quickride this month due to all the working from home. I picked up a Rs.279 coupon from Flipkart for 50 super coins.
|American Express Points||0||10000||0||0||0|
|All other Credit Cards||0||0||407||830||619|
|Flipkart Supercoins & Vouchers||0||1000||0||1300||279|
|Other points programs||0||500||0||0||0|
|Amazon Pay Card+Cashbacks||0||26,938||970||812||727|